Busy, busy… last 2 months. No time for writing. Schedule loosened. Figured HTC Desire has Android 2.2.. Decided to upgrade to 2.3. Sadly there is no automated upgrade process. Givin’ it a shot.
The upgrade is stripped of Facebook for HTC Sense (like anyone used it), HTC Backgrounds, Flashlight (you can find a good replacement on the Android Market for free, e.g. LED Light) and Teeter. The last 3 mentioned can be found in the upgrade archive, and be added manually.
- Faster booting
- More free space on the internal memory
- Manage applications has more info
- You can’t use any apps the mobile provider has installed (gladly, in Montenegro T-Mobile isn’t the most creative company)
- Memory wipe, so you should backup all contact/SMS/app info you want to get back after the upgrade
- A chance (very very low, tho) that your phone is going to end miserably
Just to make clear that there is a chance, if something goes wrong with the upgrade process, your phone will be unusable.
- Download HTC Sync and update to newest version if available.
- Download HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade and unpack.
- Charge your phone to at least 50%.
- Connect the phone to a PC (I recommend using a laptop, since it has battery power if anyhow the power goes out at the moment of updating, and you don’t want any interruptions.. For those with faint heart, turn off all apps.. It won’t help, but you’ll feel better. :))
- Run the updater RUU_HTC Desire Android 2.3 Upgrade (Gingerbread).exe and follow the instructions! (The process takes about 10 minutes.)